Tuesday, January 21, 2014

No One Wants To Be Known As The Dead Bunny Guy

A while back, in an effort to expand my musical awareness, I briefly toyed with Death Cab for Cutie.  Specifically the album 'Plans'.*

*For the Record, no pun intended, I really liked it.

I was drawn to the album of course by the fact that the song 'I Will Follow You Into The Dark' was used as background music during an episode of Doctor Who Confidential.*

*Silence In The Library, since you asked.

So, in scouring the web for info on the Band/Song/Album* I encountered this video.

*Because a Vizsla's first instinct is to go directly to research phase.

For those of you who breezed right past the link, the video is a series of pen and ink sketches that tell a few different stories.  The most linear of which concerns two rabbits, one brown and one white.  (Possible male and female, but the sketches really aren't detailed enough to make that judgement call.*)

*It's a sweet story.  There's no need for Bunny Genitalia.

First the bunnies meet.  Then they have a series of heartwarming misadventures.  The white one falls in the stream and the brown one pulls him (her?) out.  The brown one stands out in the rain so that he (she?) can bend a tall leaf over the white one so that he (she?) doesn't get wet.  There's a fair amount of endearing snuggling.

Then there's the rhythm breaker.

Then the brown bunny comes home to the warren and finds him (her?) dead.  And then the brown bunny is alone and it doesn't matter if he's a she or she's a he, because the other bunny is gone and it's the saddest thing ever.

So, in a burst of enthusiasm, I sent a link to this video to a co-worker of mine named Sarah, noting that it was a sweet little song and the saddest video ever.  Her response to me was 'Oh my God!  Why would you show that to me, that's the saddest thing ever!'  And I had to concede that Sarah had a point.

Fast forward to a few months later, when I found myself relating to Sarah a story that my friend Bill had told me.  It seems that a while back he had accidentally tagged a bunny with his lawn mower, removing one of the bunny's legs.  The bunny lived, but Bill swore that for years after he would see the three legged bunny, hanging around his yard and judging him.

A few years later he saw the three legged bunny being carried off by a falcon, the last glint in it's bunny eye a cold dagger of hate directly toward him that clearly said, 'YOU did this....'

Immediately after finishing the story I realized my mistake.  I had involved Sarah in two different stories concerning bunnies who met sad and untimely ends.

I was officially the dead bunny guy.

I tried for months to re-brand myself, sending her pictures of adorable and not maimed or dead ducks, in an attempt to become the 'happy duck' guy, but it was no use.  Once you become the dead bunny guy, you remain the dead bunny guy.

Consider yourselves warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment